24.12.10

A British take on an American [...]

The myth of Woodrow Wilson the Princeton sage who tried to bring peace and democracy to the world is a set piece in the Yank liberal narrative. The man who set up concentration camps for dissidents in the USA, who was a serial invader of Latin America, who tried to bully his way into Chinese markets with US Marine divisions, and who even sent troops to invade the Soviet Union, is pictured as some benevolent idealistic don whose efforts to uphold the League of Nations were frustrated by evil imperialists abroad and sort-sighted congressmen at home.
The list of countries that Woodrow Wilson the "League of Nations" peace-lover invaded is longer than almost any other US president's:
Mexico
China
Nicaragua
Panama
Dominican Republic
Haiti
Cuba
Guatemala
Honduras
Phillipine
Yugoslavia
the U.S.S.R.
Major General Smedley Butler, the 4-star Marine general who was the most decorated soldier in US history, had this to say about Wilsonian "idealism:"
I was a racketeer, a gangster for capitalism…. I could have given Al Capone a few hints….. I helped make Mexico safe for American oil interests in 1914. I helped make Haiti and Cuba a decent place for the National City Bank boys…. I helped in the raping of half a dozen Central American republics for the benefits of Wall Street…. I helped purify Nicaragua for the international banking house of Brown Brothers…. I brought light to the Dominican Republic for American sugar interests in 1916. In China I helped see to it that Standard Oil went its way unmolested."

No comments:

Blog Archive